Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Female highschooler wins Texas 1A track title by herself

Found on Feministe. I had to give this girl some attention for her accomplishment, especially since our last discussion on women athletes.

Bonnie Richardson was the only athlete from Rochelle, Texas who qualified for the state meet. The junior ended up winning the team title all by herself.

University Interscholastic League officials said it was the first time they can remember a single athlete winning a girls' team title.
Richardson's title march began with field events on Friday when she won the high jump (5 feet, 5 inches), placed second in the long jump (18-7) and was third in the discus (121-0).

On Saturday, she won the 200 meters in 25.03 seconds and nearly pulled off a huge upset in the 100 before finishing second (12.19) to defending champion Kendra Coleman of Santa Anna. Richardson, a junior, earned a total of 42 team points to edge team runner-up Chilton (36).

Link to the story.

4 comments:

lindsay said...

I just saw that and wanted to email to every troll we've ever had.

Amelia said...

haha. Yeah. I wonder what any of them have to say about her! She's awesome.

Unknown said...

Probably something along the lines of "Whoopty doo, she won a GIRL'S track meet. That's not hard. I could do that in my sleep."

No, that's not what I think. I bet that girl could kick the crap out of me in pretty much any sport track event. I'm just good at getting inside the heads of internet trolls.

(The Korean) Andrew said...

Once again I feel unaccomplished... :-P