Sunday, May 18, 2008

Remind me why I care? Oh wait, I DON'T.

Seriously? How is this news? Really? Is it a particularly slow news day that all CNN can come up with is that Hillary Clinton heard a sermon about adultery?

First off, I don't think the personal lives - much less the sex lives - of politicians and their families should be any of my business, as long as they're doing their jobs. They can do whatever they want in their free time, assuming it doesn't hurt their ability to perform their duties. If someone was having an affair and telling the person classified information, then that's different. Otherwise, not my business. I expect the government to stay out of my bedroom, so I sure as hell don't want to be in the government's bedroom.

Second, Bill Clinton cheated, not Hillary.

Third, she just sat in church. Didn't speak, wasn't mentioned at any point in the service, was just a person sitting in the pew.

Fourth, so what? American journalism is in horrible shape if that's what counts as main page CNN.com news. Not to mention people were flabbergasted when Chris Matthews managed to actually do his job a few days ago. Can we get back to discussing things that actually matter to people?

I blame William Randolph Hearst and yellow journalism.

10 comments:

habladora said...

This sort of thing makes me so mad. It is intentional on the part of CNN, I think. They know that their headline will evoke the whole Bill and Monica scandal in reader's minds, and they are probably aware that the mention of Bill Clinton's affair (strangely) hurts Hillary Clinton.

CNN just wants to give America soap operas - and if there isn't one to be had, invent it. Being a tabloid is a lot easier and cheaper than doing any real investigative reporting.

The problem is, no one is doing the real reporting. What's a nation to do?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike said...

Well, it's no secret that the mainstream media is in the can for Obama. But I don't think that it's because Hillary is a woman. I think it's because the media is biting Barack Obamas argument that Hillary is no different than Bush or McCain, which makes no sense to any logical informe person.

I personally think CNN is just pathetic anyways. There front page story one day last week was talking about which celebrities were boycotting the Olympics...

Anonymous said...

That's why I love news.bbc.co.uk

lindsay said...

I think they would have posted the story if it was about another politician; I'm not taking issue with the story solely on the grounds of being sexist. I think they'd post an article about Larry Craig flying through the Minneapolis airport too; it's just sad that this is the state of journalism.

Mike said...

lindsay,

You're right, they tend to report on a bunch of non-news news or they rport on fluff. And the really sad part is that the non-news and fluff reports usually end up in the "most viewed stories" section. Which means, that for some odd reason, people actually read that stuff...and apparently they read it alot.