Sunday, November 30, 2008

Rape culture and Christmas songs

If you participate in Christmas, you should be glad to know that our rape culture even extends to Christmas songs:



I really can't stay - Baby it's cold outside
I've got to go away - Baby it's cold outside
This evening has been - Been hoping that you'd drop in
So very nice - I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice
My mother will start to worry - Beautiful, what's your hurry
My father will be pacing the floor - Listen to the fireplace roar
So really I'd better scurry - Beautiful, please don't hurry
well Maybe just a half a drink more - Put some music on while I pour

The neighbors might think - Baby, it's bad out there
Say, what's in this drink - No cabs to be had out there
I wish I knew how - Your eyes are like starlight now
To break this spell - I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell
I ought to say no, no, no, sir - Mind if I move a little closer
At least I'm gonna say that I tried - What's the sense in hurting my pride
I really can't stay - Baby don't hold out
Ahh, but it's cold outside

C'mon baby

I simply must go - Baby, it's cold outside
The answer is no - Ooh baby, it's cold outside
This welcome has been - I'm lucky that you dropped in
So nice and warm -- Look out the window at that storm
My sister will be suspicious - Man, your lips look so delicious
My brother will be there at the door - Waves upon a tropical shore
My maiden aunt's mind is vicious - Gosh your lips look delicious
Well maybe just a half a drink more - Never such a blizzard before

I've got to go home - Oh, baby, you'll freeze out there
Say, lend me your comb - It's up to your knees out there
You've really been grand - Your eyes are like starlight now
But don't you see - How can you do this thing to me
There's bound to be talk tomorrow - Making my life long sorrow
At least there will be plenty implied - If you caught pneumonia and died
I really can't stay - Get over that old out
Ahh, but it's cold outside

Baby it's cold outside

Brr its cold….
It's cold out there
Cant you stay awhile longer baby
Well…..I really shouldn't...alright

Make it worth your while baby
Ahh, do that again….
Ah, nothing gets me in the Christmas mood like coercion, intentionally getting someone drunk for the purpose of sex, the idea that not wanting to have sex hurts a man's pride, female purity that needs to be protect by family members, slut-shaming by the community and date rape all immortalized in holiday song and cheer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG i swear i heard this song when i was shopping for knitting needles at hobblylobby but couldnt make out the verses over the throng of black friday crafters. yeah this song is fucked up.

kelly g. said...

Bah. I always knew there was something sketchy about the lyrics, but consciously tried not to think about it since the song one of the few x-mas oldies that I actually like. (Most are way too religious for me.) Zooey Deschanel's rendition in 'Elf' is especially beautiful.

This snippet from the song's Wiki entry is, um, interesting:

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" is a pop standard with words and music by Frank Loesser. Loesser wrote the duet in 1944 and premiered the song with his wife at their Navarro Hotel housewarming party. The female voice in the song is called "The Mouse" and the male "The Wolf."

Bah, humbug.

Rj said...

Geez, I thought I just survived the rape celebration of Thanksgiving. You're telling me it's not over?

Lauren O said...

Oh Jesus, I had never read all the lyrics. There is really no redeeming quality to that song, is there? Dayum.

Anonymous said...

Oh jeez!! I've never heard the lyrics to that properly before. It's quite a pretty song and sounds like fun to sing. I first heard it in ELF, she's singing it in the shower after work...WHY would a producer put that in?

Anonymous said...

As far as the content of your post, I'm rather indifferent because I don't think you are wrong or right. But I've always heard this song played among Christmas classics and have never been able to figure what exactly makes this a Christmas tune? I know, not really relevant to the post, but just an observation.

lindsay said...

I wasn't familiar with it before Zooey Deschanel's performance in Elf, but I liked it there... until I read the lyrics. It's pretty horrendous.

This commercial/web video by The Gap has reversed the roles, having the man sing first and then the woman sing second and it really highlights some of the more offensive verses:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hEJQbEYjRg