Saturday, August 22, 2009

Quick Read: ELCA approves GLBT clergy in relationships

Star Tribune:
On a 559-451 vote taken Friday in Minneapolis at their biennial conference, delegates repealed the ELCA ban on gay clergy unless they agree to remain celibate. It makes ELCA, with 4.8 million members nationwide and 830,000 in Minnesota, the largest denomination in the country to welcome gays into the pulpits without restriction.
Minnesota Public Radio:

A resolution voted on earlier in the day, which passed by a vote of 559-451, is the one that commits the church to "finding a way for people in such publicly accountable, lifelong, monogamous, same-gender relationships to serve as professional leaders."

...

Rev. Anita Hill, co-pastor of St. Paul-Reformation Lutheran Church in St Paul, said the vote is a positive step for the church.

"This provides the possibility that I might, before my ministry is over, I might actually be on the professional roster of the ELCA for which I'm grateful and which I believe my congregation will receive joyfully," Hill said.



That's what I'm talking about. More to come.

2 comments:

Technology said...

This is quite a dangerous decision. Allowing homosexuals to serve as clergy will confuse a lot of people.

lindsay said...

Who will it confuse? I'm interested in seeing how these policies become lived experiences and how all sides of the debate will respect the various positions of one another.