Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fewer processed foods = healthier

From Simple, Good and Tasty, a Minneapolis based food blog:

"May I speak with Lee?" my doctor started.

"Um, that's
me," I answered.

"I've got the results of your blood work, have you gota minute?"

What choice did I have? Must. Face. The. Music. "Yeah, okay,"I said.

"Everything looks really good," my doctor continued, "your cholesterol's down, your blood sugar looks great, your blood pressure is right on. Every number is better than it was the last time you had a test four years ago."

"Really?" I asked, "the numbers are better?"

"Yes," my doctor said, "did you say that you're eating less processed foods these days?"

[Of course I said that. Do you think I might have missed a chance to plug my local, sustainable, organic food business with my doctor's office? What kind of a fool do you take me for?]

"Yeah," I said.

"Well, good for you, that's terrific," my doctor continued, "I'm thrilled that you're
thinking about these kinds of things."

"Um, thanks," I said, unsure of how to take a compliment from a doctor (there's a first time for everything). "Are you saying that eating fewer processed foods and more real, whole foods can actually make me healthier, even if I don't lose weight?"

"Absolutely," my doctor said, "absolutely."



Spread the word.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Thanks a lot for the post!